Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Chunky Picadillo Chili Wraps

The interesting thing about this chili is that it has raisins in it--yes, raisins! How's that for a chili ingredients? The recipe is actually a combination of two recipes--picadillo chili and picadillo wraps--that came from my free Sun-Maid: The New Taste of Tradition cookbook I got. There were plenty of yummy-sounding recipes, but this one seemed like a great Fall meal. I used ingredients that were in my pantry, so I made one or two modifications and this is my version.

Chunky Picadillo Chili Wraps

Ingredients:
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 lb ground turkey (you can substitute ground chicken, ground beef, or b/s chicken breasts cut into 1-inch chunks)
1/2 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (14.5oz each) diced tomatoes & green chiles, undrained
1/2 cup mild salsa
3/4 cup raisins
1 can (16oz) navy beans, undrained(you can substitute red, pinto or black beans)
Toppings of your choice: shredded cheese, sour cream, etc.

Directions:
Cook ground turkey with onion, spices and garlic in large skillet until meat is done. Stir in tomatoes, salsa and raisins; bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in beans. Cover and continue to simmer 5 minutes. Serve wrapped in tortillas with your favorite taco toppings.

If freezing: Prepare as directed. After mixing and cooking the chili, allow to cool then place in gallon-size freezer bag. Squeeze out air, seal and freeze. Thaw 24 hours in refrigerator. Heat in microwave 4-5 minutes, then serve.

This meal was GREAT!! Way better than I expected. Hubs ate two helpings (I didn't tell him there were raisins, so I don't know if he noticed them). This was especially good as a leftover for my lunch today. I ate it chili-style (no tortilla) and loved it. It was sweet and spicy at the same time, but not too spicy, just a little heat for flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts