The interesting thing about this chili is that it has raisins in it--yes, raisins! How's that for a chili ingredients? The recipe is actually a combination of two recipes--picadillo chili and picadillo wraps--that came from my free Sun-Maid: The New Taste of Tradition cookbook I got. There were plenty of yummy-sounding recipes, but this one seemed like a great Fall meal. I used ingredients that were in my pantry, so I made one or two modifications and this is my version.
Chunky Picadillo Chili Wraps
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 lb ground turkey (you can substitute ground chicken, ground beef, or b/s chicken breasts cut into 1-inch chunks)
1/2 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (14.5oz each) diced tomatoes & green chiles, undrained
1/2 cup mild salsa
3/4 cup raisins
1 can (16oz) navy beans, undrained(you can substitute red, pinto or black beans)
Toppings of your choice: shredded cheese, sour cream, etc.
Cook ground turkey with onion, spices and garlic in large skillet until meat is done. Stir in tomatoes, salsa and raisins; bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in beans. Cover and continue to simmer 5 minutes. Serve wrapped in tortillas with your favorite taco toppings.
If freezing: Prepare as directed. After mixing and cooking the chili, allow to cool then place in gallon-size freezer bag. Squeeze out air, seal and freeze. Thaw 24 hours in refrigerator. Heat in microwave 4-5 minutes, then serve.
This meal was GREAT!! Way better than I expected. Hubs ate two helpings (I didn't tell him there were raisins, so I don't know if he noticed them). This was especially good as a leftover for my lunch today. I ate it chili-style (no tortilla) and loved it. It was sweet and spicy at the same time, but not too spicy, just a little heat for flavor.
- ► 2010 (216)
- From Mommy To Mom
- Menu Plan Monday: 11/30-12/6/09
- Wok's For Dinner: Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: Cobb-Style Chicken Sandwiches
- Wok's For Dinner: Meatless Sicilian Supper
- Happy Thanksgiving!
- And the winner is...
- Wok's For Dinner: Hot Pork Sandwich With Gravy
- Out of Stock? How About a Rain Check?
- Bargain Buy
- Wok's For Dinner: Ham Jambalaya
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Divan
- Softsoap Nutri Serums Giveaway: It's not too late!...
- Menu Plan Monday--11/23-11/29/09
- It's A Date!
- A Frugal-Minded Husband
- Money-Wise: Using Bulk Meat
- Homemade Chicken Broth
- GIVEAWAY!! Softsoap Nutri Serums
- Leftovers ~ Schmeftovers
- Wok's For Dinner: Baked Pork Chops With Apple Slic...
- Coupon Myths: From All You
- November OAMM Freezer Meal Day Recap
- Wok's For Dinner: Creamy Beef Over Noodles
- The 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine
- Menu Plan Monday: 11/16-11/22
- Walgreens Rocks!
- Wok's For Dinner: Meatloaf Pie
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork and Broccoli Risotto
- The Healing Power of Nature
- Wok's For Dinner: Mexican Chicken Stew
- Wok's For Dinner: Sausage Zucchini Skillet
- Wok's For Dinner: Chunky Picadillo Chili Wraps
- Wok's For Dinner: Orange Pepper Steak
- November OAMM Menu
- Menu Plan Monday--11/9-11/15/09
- Target Rocks!
- I've Been Dumped!
- Freezer Meals Time Savers: Getting Ready
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Baked Chicken
- Wok's For Dinner: Smokin' Grilled Pork Chops
- Cheap Family Fun: A Train Ride
- Wok's For Dinner: Upside-Down Deep Dish Pizza
- Freezing Peas & Green Beans
- Chicken & Vegetable Stew With Parsley Dumplings
- Wok's For Dinner: Greek Lemon Chicken
- Menu Plan Monday--11/2-11/8/09
- ▼ November (47)