Sunday, November 15, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Meatloaf Pie

Tonight's meal, courtesy of All Recipes, is basically your average shepherd's pie tweaked a bit to make it seem more like meatloaf. The ingredients really appealed to me a couple months ago when I was hunting around for recipes to add to my September freezer menu. But I must admit that I was a little iffy--I mean seriously, meatloaf in a pie? But I am trying out new things, new recipes, so it seemed worth a shot. I stuck fairly close to the original recipe, for the most part. Here is my version:

Meatloaf Pie

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 egg
1 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 refrigerator pie crust
2 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes (I didn't feel like making the real thing)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the ground beef and onion until beef is evenly brown. Drain and allow to cool. (If freezing: If you want to make this a freezer meal, you can stop here and freeze your cooked ground beef.)

Meanwhile, place refrigerator pie crust in a large pie plate. Press the edges of the crust around the edge of the pie plate.


Place corn on top of pie crust and spread evenly.

Place cooked ground beef and onion into a medium bowl and add sauce ingredients--egg, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Using a spoon, mix all ingredients until blended.
Place ground beef mixture on top of corn in pie plate and spread evenly.

Next, spread prepared instant potato flakes over top of ground beef mixture. Spread to edges of pie plate. It's okay if some of your ground beef mixture pokes through (at least, that's what I told myself! :)
Place prepared dish into preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.

Cut into serving portions and enjoy!
We all loved this meal! It was really good, and the potatoes definitely didn't taste like the box version, which I had fully expected. Of course, you could make real mashed potatoes, or use some leftover mashed potatoes if you had any. Hubs had 3 helpings, and the kids ate theirs really well, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts