Thursday, November 12, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Mexican Chicken Stew

This meal works great as a freezer meal, and it's versatile enough to be a food storage recipe because you can use all canned or dehydrated ingredients. I made it as a freezer meal way back in September, my most recent once a month cooking day, and I was so upset with myself because I had to throw away half of it! After cooking it in the slow cooker and allowing it to cool, I put the stew in a gallon-size freezer bag on the counter. I had it propped up but not sealed, thinking it was "ok" where it was. I turned away for one minute, I think it was to wash my hands real quick because I got some stew on my fingers, and next thing I knew, I heard "splat!" The freezer bag had fallen over, and half the stew was on the floor. I salvaged what was left in the bag, and thankfully it was just enough for a meal if I added enough side dishes.

Mexican Chicken Stew

Ingredients:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or 1-50oz can chicken breast in water, drained)
1 can green chiles
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained
1 can whole kernel corn
1 medium onion, chopped (or 1 tbsp dehydrated onion flakes)
1/2 pkg taco seasoning mix
1/2 pkg ranch salad dressing mix

Directions:
Add all ingredients to crock-pot and stir until blended. Cook on low 8-10 hours. After cooking, shred the chicken, if you used b/s chicken breasts, with a fork and knife and stir back into stew.

If freezing: Allow stew to cool after cooking. Place stew into a gallon-size freezer bag (don't let it spill out!). Squeeze out air, seal and lay flat so it will fit nicely in your freezer. Thaw 24 hours in refrigerator.

This meal was heavenly! The flavors had blended together so well. Too bad that I had lost half the stew when I originally prepared the meal back in September. I would have loved some leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts