This meal works great as a freezer meal, and it's versatile enough to be a food storage recipe because you can use all canned or dehydrated ingredients. I made it as a freezer meal way back in September, my most recent once a month cooking day, and I was so upset with myself because I had to throw away half of it! After cooking it in the slow cooker and allowing it to cool, I put the stew in a gallon-size freezer bag on the counter. I had it propped up but not sealed, thinking it was "ok" where it was. I turned away for one minute, I think it was to wash my hands real quick because I got some stew on my fingers, and next thing I knew, I heard "splat!" The freezer bag had fallen over, and half the stew was on the floor. I salvaged what was left in the bag, and thankfully it was just enough for a meal if I added enough side dishes.
Mexican Chicken Stew
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or 1-50oz can chicken breast in water, drained)
1 can green chiles
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained
1 can whole kernel corn
1 medium onion, chopped (or 1 tbsp dehydrated onion flakes)
1/2 pkg taco seasoning mix
1/2 pkg ranch salad dressing mix
Add all ingredients to crock-pot and stir until blended. Cook on low 8-10 hours. After cooking, shred the chicken, if you used b/s chicken breasts, with a fork and knife and stir back into stew.
If freezing: Allow stew to cool after cooking. Place stew into a gallon-size freezer bag (don't let it spill out!). Squeeze out air, seal and lay flat so it will fit nicely in your freezer. Thaw 24 hours in refrigerator.
This meal was heavenly! The flavors had blended together so well. Too bad that I had lost half the stew when I originally prepared the meal back in September. I would have loved some leftovers!
- ► 2010 (216)
- From Mommy To Mom
- Menu Plan Monday: 11/30-12/6/09
- Wok's For Dinner: Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: Cobb-Style Chicken Sandwiches
- Wok's For Dinner: Meatless Sicilian Supper
- Happy Thanksgiving!
- And the winner is...
- Wok's For Dinner: Hot Pork Sandwich With Gravy
- Out of Stock? How About a Rain Check?
- Bargain Buy
- Wok's For Dinner: Ham Jambalaya
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Divan
- Softsoap Nutri Serums Giveaway: It's not too late!...
- Menu Plan Monday--11/23-11/29/09
- It's A Date!
- A Frugal-Minded Husband
- Money-Wise: Using Bulk Meat
- Homemade Chicken Broth
- GIVEAWAY!! Softsoap Nutri Serums
- Leftovers ~ Schmeftovers
- Wok's For Dinner: Baked Pork Chops With Apple Slic...
- Coupon Myths: From All You
- November OAMM Freezer Meal Day Recap
- Wok's For Dinner: Creamy Beef Over Noodles
- The 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine
- Menu Plan Monday: 11/16-11/22
- Walgreens Rocks!
- Wok's For Dinner: Meatloaf Pie
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork and Broccoli Risotto
- The Healing Power of Nature
- Wok's For Dinner: Mexican Chicken Stew
- Wok's For Dinner: Sausage Zucchini Skillet
- Wok's For Dinner: Chunky Picadillo Chili Wraps
- Wok's For Dinner: Orange Pepper Steak
- November OAMM Menu
- Menu Plan Monday--11/9-11/15/09
- Target Rocks!
- I've Been Dumped!
- Freezer Meals Time Savers: Getting Ready
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Baked Chicken
- Wok's For Dinner: Smokin' Grilled Pork Chops
- Cheap Family Fun: A Train Ride
- Wok's For Dinner: Upside-Down Deep Dish Pizza
- Freezing Peas & Green Beans
- Chicken & Vegetable Stew With Parsley Dumplings
- Wok's For Dinner: Greek Lemon Chicken
- Menu Plan Monday--11/2-11/8/09
- ▼ November (47)