Sunday, November 29, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Hamburger Vegetable Soup

I found this recipe over at A High And Noble Calling. I love homemade soup, but I don't make it very often since my husband is not a big fan of soup. But this recipe seemed really different and worth trying out. I am glad I did!

Hamburger Vegetable Soup

Ingredients:
1/2 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
4 cups beef broth
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup chopped peeled tomato (I used one from our garden, so glad I grew these!)
1 medium carrot, diced or cut into thin strips (I sliced mine)
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp Worcestershire
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup pasta

Directions:
Brown onion and bell pepper with ground beef in large skillet. Cook until ground beef is browned; drain fat. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, except for the corn, peas and noodles. Bring to a boil and add noodles. Reduce heat, add corn and peas and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

If freezing: After cooking, allow soup to cool then place in gallon-size freezer bag. You may want to split the soup into two freezer bags, depending on how much you made. Seal up the bag and lay flat then place in freezer. Thaw 24-48 hours in refrigerator. Heat in large saucepan then serve.

This soup was fantastic! I loved it! Hubs and even my son (the picky meat-eater) loved it! My daughter was in a weird mood and chose not to eat anything other than crackers, so I really can't vouche for her opinion. But it was really good, and I'm so glad that I found this recipe. The soup wasn't very soupy--the noodles had soaked up nearly all the broth. So it was more of a stoup (stew/soup) and really chunky, which I think contributed to receiving a stamp of approval from hubs. Great meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts