Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Better Breakfast: Arme Ritter (Poor Knight Fritters)

I've been trying to make a homemade breakfast at least once on the weekends, something other than toast, cereal, instant oatmeal or pop-tarts (our usual weekday breakfast), but healthier than eggs & bacon (which my husband loves). I'm slowly working through the breakfast section of my cookbook, and thought it'd be great to try out another German recipe. This particular meal is a lot like french toast, although it really smelled like I had stepped into a donut shop while I was cooking these up (they kind of tasted like a donut, too, in my opinion at least!).

Arme Ritter (Poor Knife Fritters)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup milk
3 eggs
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
grated rind of 1 small lemon
10 slices bread
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup margarine
cinnamon sugar

Directions:
Beat eggs into milk with whisk or fork. Add sugar, vanilla and lemon rind.
Dip bread slices into egg mixture.
Then dip bread into dry breadcrumbs.
Working quickly, rub some of the margarine onto preheated (about 325 degrees) griddle (I used a butter stick but you coud use a spoonful and spread it around the skillet).
Brown prepared bread slices on skillet for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, then flip and cook an additional 5-7 minutes.
Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Serve with syrup and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts