Sorry, no picture for tonight's meal. My mommy brain kicked in. I thought I had uploaded the picture and deleted it. So please use your best imagination. :)
When I first decided to make this meal, I really, really thought that it had ground sausage in it. Really. I had convinced myself of that and decided to use ground venison sausage that friends gave us (hubs supplied our family with the ground venison, but we got the ground venison sausage from friends). I planned on this meal for a couple nights ago, but had to cancel that because we didn't have any tortillas. My loving hubby had kindly tossed them out, claiming they were "hard as a rock" or something. I managed to purchase some tortillas, so tonight was the night for this meal.
And as I put everything in the slow cooker this morning, I perused through the ingredients & lo & behold there isn't any sausage! And it dawned on me that the eggs were protein enough, why add sausage? But the venison sausage had thawed in the fridge long enough and needed to get used, so I decided we'd use it anyhow.
Here's my recipe. Click here to view the original recipe at A Year of Slow Cooking.
Crockpot Mexican Breakfast Casserole (sausage style)
8 flour tortillas
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 (7-ounce) can green chiles, drained
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 Tbsp dried minced onion
1 can corn
1 can sliced mushrooms
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Spray bottom & inside of 6-qt crock with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom of slow cooker with 2-3 tortillas, torn into large pieces. Place 1/2 of ground sausage on bottom of crock right on top of the torn tortilla pieces. Mix & blend eggs, milk, 2/3 of the cheese, and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour half of the egg mixture on top of the sausage in the crock. Add a layer of 2-3 more tortillas, torn in large pieces. Add remaining ground sausage on top of tortillas, and the remaining egg mixture on top of sausage. Add remaining tortillas, again torn in large pieces, on top of egg mixture. Sprinkle some of the remaining cheese on top of the tortillas. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high 3-4 hours. Serve with rest of shreded cheese on top.
I liked the flavor. It smelled heavenly when I came home from work. It was definitely different. Hubs said that it was all right, but the kids didn't eat any of it. Literally. Not any of it. They just weren't hungry and refused any source of substinance. So it was a good meal, like I said, different, and certainly worth considering for future reference.
Thursday, February 18, 2010
- Wok's For Dinner: Albondigas (Porcupines)
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/1-3/7/10
- Tip O' Me Hat To: Val's Junk Drawer
- Snapfish: Save 30% on Pics of Your Pet
- Wok's For Dinner: Creamed Chicken & Biscuits
- A Better Breakfast: Banana Muffins
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Breasts Dijon
- Earn Free Stuff At My Coke Rewards
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 7
- Spectacular Sides: Gruner Bohnensalat (Green Bean ...
- Menu Plan Monday--2/22-2/28/10
- Squeezing Water From Spinach
- February Freezer Meal Recap
- Bargain Buys
- Wok's For Dinner: Upside-Down Deep Dish Pizza
- After A Long, Hard Day's work
- Shopping From Your Food Storage
- Wok's For Dinner: Crock-pot Mexican Breakfast Cass...
- Food Storage Stockpile: Don't Forget the Dentist
- Wok's For Dinner: Venison Stroganoff Sandwiches
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 6
- Wok's For Dinner: Rosemary Turkey Breast
- Menu Plan Monday: 2/15-2/21/10
- A Better Breakfast: Corn Cakes
- Wok's For Dinner: Potato Pizza
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Oven Fries
- February OAMM Menu
- Wok's For Dinner: Goulash
- I Never Thought I'd See The Day
- Wok's For Dinner: Beef Medallions
- Wok's For Dinner: Crispy Mustard Pork Chops
- First Birthday Party Invite
- I Think This Is Progress...
- Bargain Buys
- Wok's For Dinner: Lasagna Casserole
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 5
- Spectacular Sides: Squash
- Menu Plan Monday--2/8-2/14/10
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiche...
- A Better Breakfast: Arme Ritter (Poor Knight Fritt...
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Pot Pie
- Freebies for Me (and hubs too!)
- Wok's For Dinner: Thai Venison Burritos
- Return & Report: My Goals for 2010 Update
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 4
- Wok's For Dinner: Rice Casserole
- Wok's For Dinner: Baked Potato Soup for the Crockp...
- ▼ February (49)