Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wok's For Dinner: Venison Stroganoff Sandwiches

You probably heard me say before that my husband does not like my Beef Stroganoff. No matter how it's prepared. Period. That is, with one exception--he likes it as a sandwich. I made Beef Stroganoff Sandwiches once before, long before starting this blog. I used my tried & true Beef Stroganoff recipe that I love, except I put it on a bun. Although he did not "love" it, he liked it enough that he said he would eat it that way again. And with the 30lbs of ground venison hubs brought home this Fall after hunting season, I figured it was worth trying some venison meat using the same stroganoff recipe, served on buns, of course (to make hubs happy). He thoroughly surpirsed me by preparing tonight's meal--heating up the stroganoff in a skillet, peeling, slicing, seasoning & baking potatoes to make Garlic Oven Fries. What a guy!

Venison Stroganoff Sandwiches

Ingredients:
1 lb ground venison (you can use ground beef, ground turkey, etc.)
1 medium onion, chopped
salt & pepper, to taste
1 can (4oz) mushroom stems & pieces
1 can (10.75oz) cream of mushroom
1 cup sour cream

Directions:
Brown ground venison and onion in skillet at medium-high heat and add salt to taste. Drain grease. Return to skillet, reduce heat and add soup and mushrooms. Heat about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.

If freezing: Cook as directed, but do not add sour cream. After cooling down, place in freezer bag, squeeze out air, seal & freeze. Thaw 24 hours in fridge. Heat in skillet or saucepan for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Serve on hamburger buns with a slice of cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts