Sunday, February 14, 2010

Wok's For Dinner: Potato Pizza


I loved, loved, LOVED this meal when I was younger. My stepmother made this every time I visited her & my dad, which was every summer and every other Christmas. I was probably 12 years old by the time she gave me the recipe. I really had to drag it out of her. It's a great meal for feeding a lot of people. Hubs likes it a lot, and since I rarely make it, I thought it would be a great dinner for Valentine's since we were staying home this year.

Potato Pizza

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp oregano or Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp sugar
1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
4 cups thinly sliced potatoes (I used 6 medium-size potatoes)
1 Tbsp butter
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1/2 cup milk
mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Brown ground beef with salt, pepper and onions. Render fat from ground beef. Add oregano, sugar and tomato sauce. Combine potatoes and beef mixture into a 13x9x2-inch pan. Dot with butter. Stir together cheddar cheese soup and milk until smooth. Pour cheese sauce over top, but don't stir. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees for 1 hour. Remove from oven, remove & discard foil. Arrange shredded mozzarella and sprinkle on grated Parmesan. Return pan, uncovered, to oven and bake an additional 5-10 minutes.

If freezing: I prepared the ground beef ahead of time by browning it with the salt, ground black pepepr & chopped onion, froze it in a quart-size freezer bag, and let it thaw in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. Then I prepared the bulk of the meal as directed in the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts