Monday, February 1, 2010
This recipe originally came from Chef Mom. I've only been holding onto it for nearly two years before finally--finally--making it for the first time. It was one of those recipes that sounded interesting, but I just never got around to making. I did my usual tweaking, and here's my version.
Baked Potato Soup for the Crockpot
4-5 potatoes, peeled and diced small
3 slices bacon
3 Tbsp butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup water
2 Tbsp flour
2 cans chicken broth
1 1/2 cups instant mashed potato flakes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp thyme
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 tsp chives
Boil potatoes until tender; drain. Meanwhile, cook bacon. When done, allow to cook and then crumble. Melt butter or margarine in a skillet and saute' until until tender. Dissolve flour in water; whisk and add to butter/onion mixture. This will make a rough. Stir frequently over low heat. Pour chicken broth, one cup of your potato water, and roux into crockpot. Stir and add crumbled bacon, potatoes, potato flakes, salt, pepper, basil, thyme and milk. Stir. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Serve with cheddar cheese and chives on top.
This was ok. It tasted a lot like a ham & potato soup made by a brand new soup company. I don't think that I'll make it again. It wasn't very thick like I would expect a potato soup to be, and I wasn't too keen on the basil flavor.
- Wok's For Dinner: Albondigas (Porcupines)
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/1-3/7/10
- Tip O' Me Hat To: Val's Junk Drawer
- Snapfish: Save 30% on Pics of Your Pet
- Wok's For Dinner: Creamed Chicken & Biscuits
- A Better Breakfast: Banana Muffins
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Breasts Dijon
- Earn Free Stuff At My Coke Rewards
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 7
- Spectacular Sides: Gruner Bohnensalat (Green Bean ...
- Menu Plan Monday--2/22-2/28/10
- Squeezing Water From Spinach
- February Freezer Meal Recap
- Bargain Buys
- Wok's For Dinner: Upside-Down Deep Dish Pizza
- After A Long, Hard Day's work
- Shopping From Your Food Storage
- Wok's For Dinner: Crock-pot Mexican Breakfast Cass...
- Food Storage Stockpile: Don't Forget the Dentist
- Wok's For Dinner: Venison Stroganoff Sandwiches
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 6
- Wok's For Dinner: Rosemary Turkey Breast
- Menu Plan Monday: 2/15-2/21/10
- A Better Breakfast: Corn Cakes
- Wok's For Dinner: Potato Pizza
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Oven Fries
- February OAMM Menu
- Wok's For Dinner: Goulash
- I Never Thought I'd See The Day
- Wok's For Dinner: Beef Medallions
- Wok's For Dinner: Crispy Mustard Pork Chops
- First Birthday Party Invite
- I Think This Is Progress...
- Bargain Buys
- Wok's For Dinner: Lasagna Casserole
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 5
- Spectacular Sides: Squash
- Menu Plan Monday--2/8-2/14/10
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiche...
- A Better Breakfast: Arme Ritter (Poor Knight Fritt...
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Pot Pie
- Freebies for Me (and hubs too!)
- Wok's For Dinner: Thai Venison Burritos
- Return & Report: My Goals for 2010 Update
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 4
- Wok's For Dinner: Rice Casserole
- Wok's For Dinner: Baked Potato Soup for the Crockp...
- ▼ February (49)