Saturday, February 13, 2010

February OAMM Menu

I worked long & hard this afternoon planning my monthly freezer meal menu. I was watching the Olympics at the same time, and feeling really sleepy, so both probably contributed to my inability to whip it out quickly. But I worked through the drowsiness, and planned out a menu that I'm looking forward to trying out.

And while planning the menu, I stuck mostly to tried and true recipes, and a few recipes that I've held on to for a few years but have never tried. In fact, I actually tossed out a handful of recipes that I've kept for years but never made and figured at this point I would never make them, so it wasn't worth holding onto them. But considering the amount of recipes I've got that I have yet to try, I barely put a dent in the cookbook! (if I see a recipe I like, I'll print it off and stick it in my cookbook thinking that "one day I'll try it")

I've also planned on substituting different meats for several of the recipes. For instance, we have very few red (or beef) meals planned. Hubs got a deer this past Fall, so we have lots of ground venison & ground venison sausage in our chest freezer. I'll be using the venison for several traditional ground beef meals.

My once a month cooking day is scheduled for next Saturday. Unlike previous months, I have not ordered anything from Angel Food Ministries this month. I started ordering from AFM back in September 2008, and I've ordered something every month since then (for reasons why I supplemented some of our groceries with orders from AFM, click here). Earlier this month, I realized that I've done a pretty good job working the sales ads in our community, stockpiling and planning ahead, to the point that I do not feel like I need to rely on AFM to supplement our groceries. That is this month, and certainly may change next month. I decided to not buy anything from AFM this time and see how things go. I am a firm believer in how the ministry helps families (the standard and fruit/veggie boxes, especially). So I may order again in the future, but right now there is not a need for it.

With that said, below is my freezer meal menu plan. I am including breakfast meals this time. Our church is meeting on Sunday afternoons instead of early in the morning this year, which is great because it gives me the opportunity to make breakfast for my family.

Breakfasts:
Apple Date Yogurt & Homemade Granola
Chocolate Buttermilk Muffins
Oatmeal Pancakes
Banana Muffins
Pumpkin Bread

Dinners:

Chicken:
Chicken Angel Hair Pasta
Rustic Stuffed Potatoes
Chicken Tacos
Creamy Chicken & Chile Enchiladas
Chicken Breasts Dijon
Oven Barbecued Chicken
Chicken Stir Fry
Creamed Chicken & Biscuits
Lite Lemon Chicken

Pork:
Mu Shu Pork
BBQ Pork Sandwiches
Slow Cooked Pork Tacos
Pork Broccoli Stir Fry
Pork Roast With Plum Sauce
Adobon Baboy / Pork Cooked in a Pickling Style
Pork and Broccoli Risotto
Don't Know the Name but it's Delicious
Sweet 'n' Sour Pork Chops

Fish:
Salmon Patties

Venison:
Albóndigas / Porcupines
Kraut Bierocks
Pizza Casserole
Li'l Cheddar Meatloaves
Venison and Bean Tacos

Carry Over & Nonfreezer Meals:
Trout Au Gratin
Baby Back Bash Ribs
Slow Cooked Corned Beef & Cabbage (for St. Patrick's Day, of course!)
Corned Beef Sammies
Beef Macaroni
Brats
Breaded Chicken Patties

This post linked to Once a Month Mom, a fantastic resource for once a month cooking!

2 comments:

  1. Do you make albondigas as a soup? That's how my mom always made it, but she never did it as porcupine meatballs. That sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually haven't made this recipe before. It's one that I found and want to try out. In the picture, it kind of looks like meatball soup and looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Previous Posts