Saturday, February 20, 2010

February Freezer Meal Recap

Well, another month of making freezer meals is done! This one went by very quickly. I can attribute that to semi-preparing several meals in advance--a pork roast and chicken leg quarters that I had bought and cooked up in a crock-pot, freezing the cooked meat afterwards.

I made one slight change to my February menu, removing one of the chicken dishes. We have friends coming over for dinner this week, so I decided to double up one of the dishes and needed the chicken in order to do that. But that's ok, no loss in my book. I think we'll still have plenty, plenty of food in the house to get us through until the next monthly cooking day.

One thing that I find which makes a big difference on how my freezer meal cooking goes is to pull out as many of the nonperishable items I will use in my cooking the night before my freezer meal cooking day. It saves so much time to have everything right there next to the counter, my work service.

Another thing I like to do is put all the meat on the kitchen floor to thaw out while I'm preparing my meals. It's not the prettiest sight, but it's definitely functional. I've used broken-down boxes in the past; this time I just laid down a plastic garbage bag.



I definitely had a record-breaking finish this time. I started about 1pm and was done by 7pm--unbelievable! I don't cook with a partner, so finishing up early doesn't happen on a normal freezer cooking day for me. But it did this time, and I owe it to making the pork roast & chicken leg quarters in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts