Friday, January 1, 2010

Wok's For Dinner: Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves


I came across the original recipe from Taste of Home in early 2009. It sounded really good, and was an instant hit with the family when I first made it. I do have one little confession about tonight's meal--I omitted the shredded cheddar cheese. The main reason was that I simply forgot! After shaping the little loaves and putting the sauce on top, I realized that I had left out the cheese. I thought about putting the cheese on top of the loaves and letting it melt while baking in the oven, but then I decided that we really didn't need the extra fat, and thought we'd just try it without the cheese. And these little meatloaves were awesome! No one missed the cheese (I had melted about 1/8 ounce of cheese over the cauliflower we ate, so that may have distracted them! :)

Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves

Ingredients:
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 cup (4oz) shredded cheddar cheese (I promise you can omit this and it will still taste great!)
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb ground beef
2/3 cup ketchup
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp prepared mustard

Directions:
In a large bowl, whisk egg and milk. Stir in the cheese, oats, onion and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight loaves (I was able to make 9 loaves); place in a 13x9-inch baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard; spoon over loaves. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking this would make about 6 very nice sized muffin tins? with the other six you could probably do a muffin stuffin thing.(Ya know stuffing with additions like cheese, veggies, mushrooms placed equally into the other 6 muffin tins and baked at the same time) Thank you for the idea and simple recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! If you try it, let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Previous Posts