Friday, January 1, 2010

Black-Eyed Peas For Luck

Black-eyed peas...a good luck food of the South. Mom always made black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. They were supposed to be good luck for the new year. I convinced the kids that if they ate their black-eyed peas, they would have good luck in 2010. I didn't have to do a lot of convincing. They like beans of all kinds and gobbled up their black-eyed peas with no problems. Hubs even had a second helping and said that he "needed all the good luck he could get in 2010."

If we still lived in Central Texas, we would have also had a couple tamales on our plates for dinner tonight. They are also supposed to be good luck. But although there is a large Hispanic population in our part of Eastern North Carolina, they do not make the same tamales that hubs and I know and love. I guess I'll have to hunt around the Internet and try out a bunch of different recipes so I can find the "perfect" tamales for next year's New Year's Day dinner. :)

Do you have any "good luck" foods that you traditionally eat on New Year's? Please share by posting a comment below or link to your blog. I'd love to hear what you do!

For some other "good luck" food ideas and recipes, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts