I am so happy! It is the 11th day of the month and I have managed to create my freezer menu for the month! Much earlier that I've been doing lately, to say the least. :)
My freezer meal cooking day is scheduled for the 4th Saturday of this month--Jan. 23. This is the same day that I will pick up an order from Angel Food Ministries (or AFM), a ministry that was founded with the purpose of helping families in need. I typically order one regular box (which feeds a family of 4 for about a week) and one fruit/veggie box, although I have bought two regular boxes and/or a special meat box in the past. You can click here to read about why I buy some of my food from AFM.
I started making freezer meals in March of '09 after reading up on what others in the blogosphere were doing and how freezer meals had blessed their families. I first made about 1 1/2 weeks' worth of foods, and I was immediately hooked! Now, I can't imagine a life without freezer meals. It's so convenient to just pop something out of the freezer, let it thaw, and heat it up. Dinner is on the table between 6pm-6:30pm instead of 6:30pm-7:0m on most nights. And planning a monthly menu and cooking everything up on one day really does take out the guess work on the "what's for dinner" game my family used to play.
Now, I sometimes do have difficulty creating a monthly freezer menu. It's usually because I feel like I just cooked up the freezer meals, and who wants to turn right around and plan for another month of meals? But one of my goals for this year was to be more organized, and part of that organization means staying on top of tasks that need to get done, including making my freezer menu earlier in the month.
Which brings me to my next point--the menu for January! I am cooking these meals up in January, but since it will be late in the month when that happens, we'll eat most of them in February.
Thai Venison Burritos
Fleischpflanzl (meat patties)
Venison Stroganoff Sandwiches
Texas Rattlesnakeless Chili (I'm using ground venison instead of rattlesnake! lol)
Upside-Down Deep Dish Pizza
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches (this is a recipe from my friend Melissa, who is the author of Melissa's Bargain Blog. It is fantastic!)
Crispy Mustard Pork Chops with Quick Fried Cabbage
Smothered Pork Chops
Cider Marinated Turkey Legs
Rosemary Turkey Breast
Herbed Turkey Breasts
Glazed Chicken and Rice Pilaf
Chicken Pot Pie
Honey Mustard Chicken
Non-freezer and Carry-Over
Chicken and Broccoli Casserole (this was on my December OAMM freezer menu, but won't get eaten up before the freezer meal cooking day rolls around)
Baked Potato Soup for the Crockpot
Mushroom Turkey Tetrazzini
Crockpot Mexican Casserole
Trout Au Gratin
Turkey Rice Casserole
Stuffed Pork Chops
Baby Back Bash Ribs
Visit Once A Month Mom for more freezer meal ideas, plus tips & tools of the trade!
- Menu Plan Monday: 2/1-2/7/10
- Spectacular Sides: Pistachio Salad
- Cooking With Food Storage Made Eas
- Conversions & Substitutions: Emergency Substitutes...
- Out of the Office
- Game Day Recipes & Hot Coupons At Kraft!
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Wok's For Dinner: Fleischpflanzl
- Wok's For Dinner: Crock-pot Chicken & Vegetables
- When Life Gives You Lemons
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 3
- Wok's For Dinner: Honey BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Spectacular Sides: Sautee'd Apples
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/25-1/31/1
- Spectacular Sides: Peppered Cottage Cheese
- Wok's For Dinner: Cuban Pork & Black Bean Soup
- Friday Night = Date Night
- Freebies For Me
- Wok's For Dinner: Kielbasa Sausage & Red Beans & R...
- Wok's For Dinner: Cornish Hens in Sour Cream
- Wok's For Dinner: Frito Pie
- Creating More Storage to the Kitchen
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 2
- Wok's For Dinner: Hungarian Cabbage Stew
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Rice L'Orange
- Menu Plan Moday: 1/18-1/24/10
- Bargain Buy: Bulk Meat Purchase
- Remodel & Declutter--A Twofer!
- Wok's For Dinner: Mu Shu Pork
- Wok's For Dinner: Sloppy Joes
- Shop Your Way Rewards
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 1
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Green Beans
- Wok's For Dinner: One Pot Chicken Dinner
- Free Book Download: Maximize Your Mornings
- January OAMM Menu
- Wok's For Dinner: Sweet 'n' Sour Pork Chops
- Menu Plan Monday--1/11-1/17/10
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Ham It Up White Bean Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: South of the Border Lasagna
- Food Storage...Where Do I Put It?
- Shelf Life: How Long Is This Stuff Supposed To Las...
- Return & Report: My 2010 Goals
- Kmart Smart Assist Program
- Wok's For Dinner: Shredded Beef Sandwiches
- Long-Term Food Storage: $5/Week Budget
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Scalloped Potatoes
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Hot Pork Sandwich With Gravy
- My Goals for the New Year
- Wok's For Dinner: Chili Cups
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/4-1/10/10
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Vegetable Stew With Pa...
- Bargain Buy: Potatoes!
- The Goody Bag
- Bargain Buy: Soup, Bread & More
- Black-Eyed Peas For Luck
- Wok's For Dinner: Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves
- ▼ January (59)