There's a lot to love about this meal. First and foremost (on my list) it was soooo good to have this comfort food on such a chilly evening as tonight! The inspiration for this meal came from this recipe at Taste of Home. I thought I had bought a ham that I was going to use in this meal...little did I know it was actually a pork roast. So I made a slight change to the recipe, using the pork roast instead of ham. And it tasted fabulous! Definitely a lot less sodium, too!
Saucy Scalloped Potatoes
4 cups thinly sliced peled potatoes (~ 2lbs)
1 can 10.75oz condensed cream of celery soup
1 can (12oz) evaporated milk
2 Tbsp dried minced onion
2 Tbsp butter, cut into several pieces
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups chopped pork roast
In a 3- or 4-qt slow cooker, combine all ingredients Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
You can also bake this meal in the oven, using leftover cooked pork roast (chopped or cut into 1/2 inch pieces). Prepare the potatoes and mix with soup, milk, butter, salt and pepper. Place potato mixture into a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover with foil and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Remove foil; stir in leftover cooked pork roast. The heat of the potatoes will heat up the roast. Serve and enjoy.
If freezing: Whether cooked in your slow cooker or baked in the oven, you can freeze the entire meal. After potatoes and roast have been cooked, allow them to cool. Place into a freezer bag, squeeze out the air and seal bag. Lay flat in the freezer. Thaw 36-48 hours in the refrigerator. Heat in the microwave.
- Menu Plan Monday: 2/1-2/7/10
- Spectacular Sides: Pistachio Salad
- Cooking With Food Storage Made Eas
- Conversions & Substitutions: Emergency Substitutes...
- Out of the Office
- Game Day Recipes & Hot Coupons At Kraft!
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Wok's For Dinner: Fleischpflanzl
- Wok's For Dinner: Crock-pot Chicken & Vegetables
- When Life Gives You Lemons
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 3
- Wok's For Dinner: Honey BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Spectacular Sides: Sautee'd Apples
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/25-1/31/1
- Spectacular Sides: Peppered Cottage Cheese
- Wok's For Dinner: Cuban Pork & Black Bean Soup
- Friday Night = Date Night
- Freebies For Me
- Wok's For Dinner: Kielbasa Sausage & Red Beans & R...
- Wok's For Dinner: Cornish Hens in Sour Cream
- Wok's For Dinner: Frito Pie
- Creating More Storage to the Kitchen
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 2
- Wok's For Dinner: Hungarian Cabbage Stew
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Rice L'Orange
- Menu Plan Moday: 1/18-1/24/10
- Bargain Buy: Bulk Meat Purchase
- Remodel & Declutter--A Twofer!
- Wok's For Dinner: Mu Shu Pork
- Wok's For Dinner: Sloppy Joes
- Shop Your Way Rewards
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 1
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Green Beans
- Wok's For Dinner: One Pot Chicken Dinner
- Free Book Download: Maximize Your Mornings
- January OAMM Menu
- Wok's For Dinner: Sweet 'n' Sour Pork Chops
- Menu Plan Monday--1/11-1/17/10
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Ham It Up White Bean Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: South of the Border Lasagna
- Food Storage...Where Do I Put It?
- Shelf Life: How Long Is This Stuff Supposed To Las...
- Return & Report: My 2010 Goals
- Kmart Smart Assist Program
- Wok's For Dinner: Shredded Beef Sandwiches
- Long-Term Food Storage: $5/Week Budget
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Scalloped Potatoes
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Hot Pork Sandwich With Gravy
- My Goals for the New Year
- Wok's For Dinner: Chili Cups
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/4-1/10/10
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Vegetable Stew With Pa...
- Bargain Buy: Potatoes!
- The Goody Bag
- Bargain Buy: Soup, Bread & More
- Black-Eyed Peas For Luck
- Wok's For Dinner: Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves
- ▼ January (59)