I found my inspiration for this meal from the Comet Rice Simple Recipes recipe booklet that showed up in my mailbox a few months ago. The original recipe says to use orange marmalade. Since no one in my family likes marmalade, there was no way that I was going to buy it just for this meal. But still, the recipe sounded good, and the picture that was included made my mouth water. I figured it was worth tweaking the recipe around and trying it out.
Chicken & Rice L'Orange
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-2" chunks
1/4 cup apple jelly
juice of one orange
1/2 cup Italian dressing
1 tsp salt
2 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup sliced almonds
2 cups cook rice
Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, orange juice, Italian dressing, apple jelly and salt; saute' chicken 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and stir green onions into skillet. Cook green onions for 2-3 minutes, then add to chicken. Mean while, toast almons under broiler in a single layer on a baking sheet for 1-2 minutes (keep a close eye on the almonds so they don't burn!). Serve toated almons and chicken over cooked rice.
If freezing: Prepare chicken as directed; freeze in a freezer bag. Thaw 24 hours in refrigerator. Heat in microwave or saucepan on the stove, toast almonds in broiler and serve both over cooked rice.
Loved it, loved it, loved it! The flavor was a perfect blend of sweet and tangy, no overpowering orange flavor (which made hubs happy and he loved this meal as well!). I can see myself making this particular recipe again.
- Menu Plan Monday: 2/1-2/7/10
- Spectacular Sides: Pistachio Salad
- Cooking With Food Storage Made Eas
- Conversions & Substitutions: Emergency Substitutes...
- Out of the Office
- Game Day Recipes & Hot Coupons At Kraft!
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Wok's For Dinner: Fleischpflanzl
- Wok's For Dinner: Crock-pot Chicken & Vegetables
- When Life Gives You Lemons
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 3
- Wok's For Dinner: Honey BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Spectacular Sides: Sautee'd Apples
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/25-1/31/1
- Spectacular Sides: Peppered Cottage Cheese
- Wok's For Dinner: Cuban Pork & Black Bean Soup
- Friday Night = Date Night
- Freebies For Me
- Wok's For Dinner: Kielbasa Sausage & Red Beans & R...
- Wok's For Dinner: Cornish Hens in Sour Cream
- Wok's For Dinner: Frito Pie
- Creating More Storage to the Kitchen
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 2
- Wok's For Dinner: Hungarian Cabbage Stew
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Rice L'Orange
- Menu Plan Moday: 1/18-1/24/10
- Bargain Buy: Bulk Meat Purchase
- Remodel & Declutter--A Twofer!
- Wok's For Dinner: Mu Shu Pork
- Wok's For Dinner: Sloppy Joes
- Shop Your Way Rewards
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 1
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Green Beans
- Wok's For Dinner: One Pot Chicken Dinner
- Free Book Download: Maximize Your Mornings
- January OAMM Menu
- Wok's For Dinner: Sweet 'n' Sour Pork Chops
- Menu Plan Monday--1/11-1/17/10
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Ham It Up White Bean Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: South of the Border Lasagna
- Food Storage...Where Do I Put It?
- Shelf Life: How Long Is This Stuff Supposed To Las...
- Return & Report: My 2010 Goals
- Kmart Smart Assist Program
- Wok's For Dinner: Shredded Beef Sandwiches
- Long-Term Food Storage: $5/Week Budget
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Scalloped Potatoes
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Hot Pork Sandwich With Gravy
- My Goals for the New Year
- Wok's For Dinner: Chili Cups
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/4-1/10/10
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Vegetable Stew With Pa...
- Bargain Buy: Potatoes!
- The Goody Bag
- Bargain Buy: Soup, Bread & More
- Black-Eyed Peas For Luck
- Wok's For Dinner: Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves
- ▼ January (59)