Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Spectacular Sides: Garlic Green Beans

Lately, I've had in mind a new recipe series that I wanted to start--Spectacular Sides. I with you recipes for main dishes throughout the week. But a dinner meal isn't just about the main dish. It's often about the good stuff that goes with it--our side dishes!

Prior to introducing freezer meals into my life nearly a year ago, my side dishes more often than not consisted of opening a can or bag of vegetables, heating them in the microwave or on the stove, and dumping a spoonful or two onto the plate. I spent so much time making the main dish, that I rarely had time to devote to the side dishes and liven them up. But with the ease and freedom that freezer meals have given me, I've been able to do more with my side dishes, trying out new recipes, or simply using tried and true family recipes that in the past I rarely had time to indulge in.

So if you're a Once a Month Mom or freezer cookin' mom like I am, or even if you're not into freezer meals but you want to spruce up your side dishes, then you might enjoy this series of posts devoted to side dishes.

My intent is for this to be an on-going series. No specific day of the week in mind, but I will post side dish recipes on occasion as I prepare them throughout the week. You probably won't be interested in something like simple like plain ol' Green Beans, but you might like this recipe for Garlic Green Beans. :)


Garlic Green Beans (this particular recipe came from my husband's Aunt Mavis, although she uses margarine instead of olive oil)

Ingredients:
2 cups cut green beans, cooked, drained (this can be fresh, frozen or canned, your choice :)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 tsp chicken bouillon concentrate

Directions:
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute' for one minute until golden brown and fragrant. Add bouillon and green beans. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and ehat for 3-5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts