Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Wok's For Dinner: One Pot Chicken Dinner


This is my son's picture of his plate of the meal we had tonight. Both of the kids are very "into" helping me take pictures of our meal so I can post a picture of it on the blog for them. Although I'm not so keen of them manhandling my camera (especially Little Miss who is especially fond of rubbing her fingers all over the camera lens), I don't want to discourage them, and they do take some really amazing shots. So I allow it on occasion, within reason (like I take the camera away as soon as my little girl's fingers start aiming for the front of the camera! :)

I found this meal in the Kitchen Basics "Cooking With Stock" recipe booklet I received a few months ago. There are a lot of soup recipes--a lot--and this was one of the few nonsoup recipes. It's a traditional roasted chicken recipe, but you could totally use a beef or pork roast, except this recipe uses chicken or beef stock, and I've never seen a roast recipe that used stock. So I thought it was worth giving it a try. I made a few variations; here's my recipe:

One-Pot Chicken Dinner

Ingredients:
1 cup homemade chicken broth
2 bone-in chicken breasts
6 carrots, cut into pieces
4 potatoes, washed and cut into chunks
2 sweet potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into chunks
3 celery stalks, cut into pieces
1 clove garlic, chopped

Directions:
In a 13x9-inch baking dish, place meat in center and vegetables around the meat. Pour chicken stock over the meat. Cover with foil and roast in oven at 375 degrees for 1 hour. Remove from oven and check chicken for doneness (should read 180 degrees with a meat thermometer in thickest part of chicken and juices should run clear). Return to oven if chicken is not ready and bake for a few minutes more. After baking, cut meat into pieces, removing bones (which can be used to make homemade chicken broth). Serve roasted chicken and vegetables.

If freezing: After roasting, place chicken and vegetables into a freezer bag. Squeeze out the air, seal, lay flat and freeze. Thaw 36-48 hours in refrigerator. Heat in a large saucepan on the stove over medium heat.

Well, this tasted about the same as any other roasted chicken and vegetables recipe. Nothing fancy about it, but a good simple recipe and very easy to prepare. I would recommend adding some salt & pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts