Thursday, January 7, 2010
The original recipe for this meal comes from Taste of Home. This is a slow cooker meal that I find very versatile. The recipe calls for roast, but I used NY Strip steaks that I received in my December Angel Food Ministries order. I've made different versions of this meal before, and Ribeyes worked just as well. Any kind of beef, really, and it should cook up and shred up nicely. Here's how I made it:
Shredded Beef Sandwiches
2 cups homemade beef broth (you can use 1 can of condensed beef broth)
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
juice from 1 lemon
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 NY Strip steaks
1 tsp salt
sliced sandwich bread
In a small bowl, whisk together the liquid ingredients and seasonings. Place steaks into slow cooker and top with sauce; stir until steaks are coated well. Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours. Shred meat with two forks (it should shred easily). Return meat to slow cooker and stir with sauce. Place some of the beef mixture and a slice of cheese between two slices of bread. Serve and enjoy.
If freezing: After slow cooking beef and sauce, allow to cool. Place in a quart-size freezer bag; squeeze the air out, seal, lay flat and freeze. Thaw 24 hours in refrigerator. Heat in microwave in a microwavable-safe bowl and serve.
I liked this recipe a lot. The sauce was nice and different than the usual bottle of barbecue sauce.
- Menu Plan Monday: 2/1-2/7/10
- Spectacular Sides: Pistachio Salad
- Cooking With Food Storage Made Eas
- Conversions & Substitutions: Emergency Substitutes...
- Out of the Office
- Game Day Recipes & Hot Coupons At Kraft!
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Wok's For Dinner: Fleischpflanzl
- Wok's For Dinner: Crock-pot Chicken & Vegetables
- When Life Gives You Lemons
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 3
- Wok's For Dinner: Honey BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Spectacular Sides: Sautee'd Apples
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/25-1/31/1
- Spectacular Sides: Peppered Cottage Cheese
- Wok's For Dinner: Cuban Pork & Black Bean Soup
- Friday Night = Date Night
- Freebies For Me
- Wok's For Dinner: Kielbasa Sausage & Red Beans & R...
- Wok's For Dinner: Cornish Hens in Sour Cream
- Wok's For Dinner: Frito Pie
- Creating More Storage to the Kitchen
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 2
- Wok's For Dinner: Hungarian Cabbage Stew
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Rice L'Orange
- Menu Plan Moday: 1/18-1/24/10
- Bargain Buy: Bulk Meat Purchase
- Remodel & Declutter--A Twofer!
- Wok's For Dinner: Mu Shu Pork
- Wok's For Dinner: Sloppy Joes
- Shop Your Way Rewards
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 1
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Green Beans
- Wok's For Dinner: One Pot Chicken Dinner
- Free Book Download: Maximize Your Mornings
- January OAMM Menu
- Wok's For Dinner: Sweet 'n' Sour Pork Chops
- Menu Plan Monday--1/11-1/17/10
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Ham It Up White Bean Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: South of the Border Lasagna
- Food Storage...Where Do I Put It?
- Shelf Life: How Long Is This Stuff Supposed To Las...
- Return & Report: My 2010 Goals
- Kmart Smart Assist Program
- Wok's For Dinner: Shredded Beef Sandwiches
- Long-Term Food Storage: $5/Week Budget
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Scalloped Potatoes
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Hot Pork Sandwich With Gravy
- My Goals for the New Year
- Wok's For Dinner: Chili Cups
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/4-1/10/10
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Vegetable Stew With Pa...
- Bargain Buy: Potatoes!
- The Goody Bag
- Bargain Buy: Soup, Bread & More
- Black-Eyed Peas For Luck
- Wok's For Dinner: Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves
- ▼ January (59)