This meal was inspired by the Kitchen Basics: Cooking With Stock cookbook I got for free in the mail several months ago. As you can see from the picture, I obviously didn't use black beans. I thought that I had run out of canned black beans, so I substituted a can of navy beans, only to find out long after supper this evening that I did, in fact, have a can of black beans. Go figure! I made a couple other modifications to the recipe and this is what I came up with.
Cuban Pork & Black Bean (Or Navy Bean) Soup
1 can corn
1 can black beans in water (or navy beans)
2 cups homemade pork broth
2 cups homemade chicken broth
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp jerk spice
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 lb cooked leftover pork roast, shredded
Place corn, beans, broths and seasonings in a Dutch oven or 6-qt saucepan on the stove. Bring to a boil. Add pork, and turn heat down to low. Simmer for 5-10 minutes and serve.
Hubs about had a fit that we were having soup once again this week. The weather turned unseasonably warm earlier this week, and now it's cooled down, but apparently not cool enough for soup in my husband's opinion (he is not a real soup "fan). Nonetheless, I made it, we ate it, and I did not like it. Maybe it was because of the negative comments from the peanut gallery. Maybe it was from the navy beans (I was so disappointed when I thought that I was out of black beans). Out of the four of us, only Little Miss enjoyed her soup. She smacked her lips and gobbled it down. So I guess I'm content that at least someone liked it.
- Menu Plan Monday: 2/1-2/7/10
- Spectacular Sides: Pistachio Salad
- Cooking With Food Storage Made Eas
- Conversions & Substitutions: Emergency Substitutes...
- Out of the Office
- Game Day Recipes & Hot Coupons At Kraft!
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Wok's For Dinner: Fleischpflanzl
- Wok's For Dinner: Crock-pot Chicken & Vegetables
- When Life Gives You Lemons
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 3
- Wok's For Dinner: Honey BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Spectacular Sides: Sautee'd Apples
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/25-1/31/1
- Spectacular Sides: Peppered Cottage Cheese
- Wok's For Dinner: Cuban Pork & Black Bean Soup
- Friday Night = Date Night
- Freebies For Me
- Wok's For Dinner: Kielbasa Sausage & Red Beans & R...
- Wok's For Dinner: Cornish Hens in Sour Cream
- Wok's For Dinner: Frito Pie
- Creating More Storage to the Kitchen
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 2
- Wok's For Dinner: Hungarian Cabbage Stew
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Rice L'Orange
- Menu Plan Moday: 1/18-1/24/10
- Bargain Buy: Bulk Meat Purchase
- Remodel & Declutter--A Twofer!
- Wok's For Dinner: Mu Shu Pork
- Wok's For Dinner: Sloppy Joes
- Shop Your Way Rewards
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 1
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Green Beans
- Wok's For Dinner: One Pot Chicken Dinner
- Free Book Download: Maximize Your Mornings
- January OAMM Menu
- Wok's For Dinner: Sweet 'n' Sour Pork Chops
- Menu Plan Monday--1/11-1/17/10
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Ham It Up White Bean Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: South of the Border Lasagna
- Food Storage...Where Do I Put It?
- Shelf Life: How Long Is This Stuff Supposed To Las...
- Return & Report: My 2010 Goals
- Kmart Smart Assist Program
- Wok's For Dinner: Shredded Beef Sandwiches
- Long-Term Food Storage: $5/Week Budget
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Scalloped Potatoes
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Hot Pork Sandwich With Gravy
- My Goals for the New Year
- Wok's For Dinner: Chili Cups
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/4-1/10/10
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Vegetable Stew With Pa...
- Bargain Buy: Potatoes!
- The Goody Bag
- Bargain Buy: Soup, Bread & More
- Black-Eyed Peas For Luck
- Wok's For Dinner: Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves
- ▼ January (59)