Friday, January 22, 2010

Wok's For Dinner: Cuban Pork & Black Bean Soup

This meal was inspired by the Kitchen Basics: Cooking With Stock cookbook I got for free in the mail several months ago. As you can see from the picture, I obviously didn't use black beans. I thought that I had run out of canned black beans, so I substituted a can of navy beans, only to find out long after supper this evening that I did, in fact, have a can of black beans. Go figure! I made a couple other modifications to the recipe and this is what I came up with.

Cuban Pork & Black Bean (Or Navy Bean) Soup

Ingredients:
1 can corn
1 can black beans in water (or navy beans)
2 cups homemade pork broth
2 cups homemade chicken broth
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp jerk spice
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 lb cooked leftover pork roast, shredded

Directions:
Place corn, beans, broths and seasonings in a Dutch oven or 6-qt saucepan on the stove. Bring to a boil. Add pork, and turn heat down to low. Simmer for 5-10 minutes and serve.

Hubs about had a fit that we were having soup once again this week. The weather turned unseasonably warm earlier this week, and now it's cooled down, but apparently not cool enough for soup in my husband's opinion (he is not a real soup "fan). Nonetheless, I made it, we ate it, and I did not like it. Maybe it was because of the negative comments from the peanut gallery. Maybe it was from the navy beans (I was so disappointed when I thought that I was out of black beans). Out of the four of us, only Little Miss enjoyed her soup. She smacked her lips and gobbled it down. So I guess I'm content that at least someone liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts