I know what you're thinking. And you are right. That is definitely not ham in the soup! I bought what I thought was a ham, but when I opened it up, I discovered that it was actually a pork roast! Definitely not the same. But I figured I'd give it a shot in the recipe and see how it turned out. The pork roast was large, so I was able to split it up into more than one meal. I used some of the pork roast in the Saucy Scalloped Potatoes I made recently, and those turned out really good, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to try it in tonight's soup. I found the original recipe in a free holiday recipe book, Full of Flavor: Your Guide to Catering to a Holiday Houseful, from Carnation. As I usually do, I tweaked the recipe and changed some of it around (pretty obvious, especially because I used pork roast instead of ham!! :) .
Ham (Pork Roast) It Up White Bean Soup
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tbsp garlic powder
2 cups homemade chicken broth
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 can (12oz) evaporated milk
1 can (15.5oz) Great Northern beans, undrained
1 1/2 cups cooked pork roast, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 sm. pkg frozen peas
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Heat oil in Dutch oven or 6qt saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add chicken broth and flour; whisk mixture for 1-2 minutes to incorporate the flour. Stir in evaporated milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Add beans, pork roast and peas. Heat through. Season to taste with pepper.
If freezing: To make this into a freeze meal, the easy thing to do is to use your cooked pork roast. After cooking your roast, cut it into 1/2 inch pieces. Place in quart-size freezer bag, squeeze out the air, seal, lay flat and freeze. Thaw 24 hours in refrigerator and use in your soup as directed.
I loved the broth, but it could have used a little salt. I didn't add any since the recipe didn't say to. But the original recipe used ham, which is by nature usually salty, so this would have been a completely different meal with ham instead of the pork roast. My daughter really loved her soup and raved with each bite she took. Hubs had seconds, and even my son ate his soup without complaint. So I guess it was a winner with the family!
- Menu Plan Monday: 2/1-2/7/10
- Spectacular Sides: Pistachio Salad
- Cooking With Food Storage Made Eas
- Conversions & Substitutions: Emergency Substitutes...
- Out of the Office
- Game Day Recipes & Hot Coupons At Kraft!
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Wok's For Dinner: Fleischpflanzl
- Wok's For Dinner: Crock-pot Chicken & Vegetables
- When Life Gives You Lemons
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 3
- Wok's For Dinner: Honey BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Spectacular Sides: Sautee'd Apples
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/25-1/31/1
- Spectacular Sides: Peppered Cottage Cheese
- Wok's For Dinner: Cuban Pork & Black Bean Soup
- Friday Night = Date Night
- Freebies For Me
- Wok's For Dinner: Kielbasa Sausage & Red Beans & R...
- Wok's For Dinner: Cornish Hens in Sour Cream
- Wok's For Dinner: Frito Pie
- Creating More Storage to the Kitchen
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 2
- Wok's For Dinner: Hungarian Cabbage Stew
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Rice L'Orange
- Menu Plan Moday: 1/18-1/24/10
- Bargain Buy: Bulk Meat Purchase
- Remodel & Declutter--A Twofer!
- Wok's For Dinner: Mu Shu Pork
- Wok's For Dinner: Sloppy Joes
- Shop Your Way Rewards
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 1
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Green Beans
- Wok's For Dinner: One Pot Chicken Dinner
- Free Book Download: Maximize Your Mornings
- January OAMM Menu
- Wok's For Dinner: Sweet 'n' Sour Pork Chops
- Menu Plan Monday--1/11-1/17/10
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Ham It Up White Bean Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: South of the Border Lasagna
- Food Storage...Where Do I Put It?
- Shelf Life: How Long Is This Stuff Supposed To Las...
- Return & Report: My 2010 Goals
- Kmart Smart Assist Program
- Wok's For Dinner: Shredded Beef Sandwiches
- Long-Term Food Storage: $5/Week Budget
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Scalloped Potatoes
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Hot Pork Sandwich With Gravy
- My Goals for the New Year
- Wok's For Dinner: Chili Cups
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/4-1/10/10
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Vegetable Stew With Pa...
- Bargain Buy: Potatoes!
- The Goody Bag
- Bargain Buy: Soup, Bread & More
- Black-Eyed Peas For Luck
- Wok's For Dinner: Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves
- ▼ January (59)