Thursday, January 21, 2010

Wok's For Dinner: Kielbasa Sausage & Red Beans & Rice

I think the last time that I made this was nearly 9 years ago, during hubs & my first year of marriage. Actually, now that I think about it, I used ground venison that I friend had given me, not kielbasa. So I guess this is a brand new meal for us! I neve really liked Red Beans & Rice when I was growing up. Mom made it every so often, but I never liked having anything over my rice. I always wanted my rice on the side. Funny how things change when we grow up.

Kielbasa Sausage & Red Beans & Rice

Ingredients:
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, diced fine
1 lb smoked kielbasa, cut into slices
1 can kidney beans (I used dark red)
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cajun seasoning
1 bay leaf
1 can beef broth (I used 2 cups homemade pork broth)
1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
1 cup uncooked rice

Directions:
Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add onion and celery; saute' for a few minutes. Add sausage, kidney beans, seasonings, broth and tomato sauce. Stir in rice. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is done. Now, my family prefers to have their rice on the side (like me when I was a kid...what goes around comes around, eh?). So I cooked the rice in a rice cooker. I still used the same amount of broth with the kielbasa, beans, veggies & seasonings. For myself, I served the Red Beans & Rice and sauce over the rice, and it tasted great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts