This is a variation of a recipe for wild dove from an avid hunter that I picked up many years (I changed some things for this particular meal.) But since hubs hasn't gotten a license to hunt dove, I've never made it (there was one year that I accidentally hit a dove with my car on two separate occasions, but that doesn't count!). But my Angel Food Ministries order for December came with cornish hens, and since they're only slightly larger in size than dove, I thought that it was high time I gave this recipe a try.
Cornish Hens in Sour Cream
1 whole cornish hen, sliced in half lengthwise, skins removed
1/2 - 1 Tbsp olive oil
2-3 slices bacon, cut into pieces
salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Dry cornish hens thoroughly. Dredge with flour and brown lightly about 5 minutes in a small amount of oil in the skillet. Place bacon in baking dish. Place lightly browned cornish hen pieces on top of bacon. Add enough chicken broth to avoid sticking. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 1 hour or until juices run clear when meat is poked with a fork, or the thickest part of the meat reads 180 degrees on a meat thermometer. Remove foil, pour sour cream over cornish hen and bake an additional 10 minutes.
If freezing: After baking for one hour, debone chicken (you could freeze without deboning the chicken, but I find that it takes up more room in the freezer). Do not add sour cream. Place chicken, bacon and sauce into a freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air from the bag, seal, and lay flat in the freezer. Thaw 24 hours in refrigertor. Heat, covered, in a saucepan on low for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sour cream and serve.
Loved it, loved it, loved it!!! I prepared this as a freezer meal, and it was fantabulous, a great meal loved by the entire family. Absolutely yummy!
- Menu Plan Monday: 2/1-2/7/10
- Spectacular Sides: Pistachio Salad
- Cooking With Food Storage Made Eas
- Conversions & Substitutions: Emergency Substitutes...
- Out of the Office
- Game Day Recipes & Hot Coupons At Kraft!
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Wok's For Dinner: Fleischpflanzl
- Wok's For Dinner: Crock-pot Chicken & Vegetables
- When Life Gives You Lemons
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 3
- Wok's For Dinner: Honey BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Spectacular Sides: Sautee'd Apples
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/25-1/31/1
- Spectacular Sides: Peppered Cottage Cheese
- Wok's For Dinner: Cuban Pork & Black Bean Soup
- Friday Night = Date Night
- Freebies For Me
- Wok's For Dinner: Kielbasa Sausage & Red Beans & R...
- Wok's For Dinner: Cornish Hens in Sour Cream
- Wok's For Dinner: Frito Pie
- Creating More Storage to the Kitchen
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 2
- Wok's For Dinner: Hungarian Cabbage Stew
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Rice L'Orange
- Menu Plan Moday: 1/18-1/24/10
- Bargain Buy: Bulk Meat Purchase
- Remodel & Declutter--A Twofer!
- Wok's For Dinner: Mu Shu Pork
- Wok's For Dinner: Sloppy Joes
- Shop Your Way Rewards
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 1
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Green Beans
- Wok's For Dinner: One Pot Chicken Dinner
- Free Book Download: Maximize Your Mornings
- January OAMM Menu
- Wok's For Dinner: Sweet 'n' Sour Pork Chops
- Menu Plan Monday--1/11-1/17/10
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Ham It Up White Bean Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: South of the Border Lasagna
- Food Storage...Where Do I Put It?
- Shelf Life: How Long Is This Stuff Supposed To Las...
- Return & Report: My 2010 Goals
- Kmart Smart Assist Program
- Wok's For Dinner: Shredded Beef Sandwiches
- Long-Term Food Storage: $5/Week Budget
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Scalloped Potatoes
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Hot Pork Sandwich With Gravy
- My Goals for the New Year
- Wok's For Dinner: Chili Cups
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/4-1/10/10
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Vegetable Stew With Pa...
- Bargain Buy: Potatoes!
- The Goody Bag
- Bargain Buy: Soup, Bread & More
- Black-Eyed Peas For Luck
- Wok's For Dinner: Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves
- ▼ January (59)