Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wok's For Dinner: Cornish Hens in Sour Cream

This is a variation of a recipe for wild dove from an avid hunter that I picked up many years (I changed some things for this particular meal.) But since hubs hasn't gotten a license to hunt dove, I've never made it (there was one year that I accidentally hit a dove with my car on two separate occasions, but that doesn't count!). But my Angel Food Ministries order for December came with cornish hens, and since they're only slightly larger in size than dove, I thought that it was high time I gave this recipe a try.

Cornish Hens in Sour Cream

Ingredients:
1 whole cornish hen, sliced in half lengthwise, skins removed
flour
1/2 - 1 Tbsp olive oil
2-3 slices bacon, cut into pieces
chicken broth
salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 cup sour cream

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Dry cornish hens thoroughly. Dredge with flour and brown lightly about 5 minutes in a small amount of oil in the skillet. Place bacon in baking dish. Place lightly browned cornish hen pieces on top of bacon. Add enough chicken broth to avoid sticking. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 1 hour or until juices run clear when meat is poked with a fork, or the thickest part of the meat reads 180 degrees on a meat thermometer. Remove foil, pour sour cream over cornish hen and bake an additional 10 minutes.

If freezing: After baking for one hour, debone chicken (you could freeze without deboning the chicken, but I find that it takes up more room in the freezer). Do not add sour cream. Place chicken, bacon and sauce into a freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air from the bag, seal, and lay flat in the freezer. Thaw 24 hours in refrigertor. Heat, covered, in a saucepan on low for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sour cream and serve.

Loved it, loved it, loved it!!! I prepared this as a freezer meal, and it was fantabulous, a great meal loved by the entire family. Absolutely yummy!

2 comments:

  1. Can you believe both Hubs and myself (thus our kids) have never had cornish game hen. Is it 1 hen per person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie!
    Cornish hens are small to begin with, but we just have two adults and two small children in our family. I used one whole hen that had been cut into two halves. For four adults, I would recommend at least two hens, or four halves.

    ReplyDelete

Previous Posts