Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wok's For Dinner: Fleischpflanzl


I've reverted to my German roots. When I created my menu for this month's freezer meals, I kept thinking about the Germany recipes that were in my family cookbook. I actually got the original recipe from a college roommate who had put together a family cookbook for her family reunion (that's what gave me the idea to put together my own family cookbook, and I included this plus lots of other family & non-family recipes). Anyhow, thinking that "one day I'll make some of these recipes," I've overlooked them time and time again. But this time, I figured it was time to make at least one of the German recipes, and I thought this would be a good one to try out on the family. And in case you noticed, yes, I did change tonight's meal. This particular one didn't even make it on the menu plan for this week. It's a bit too warm to make potato soup, and I thought it best to avoid a family (hubs) revolt...for now. We're due for a wintry mix this weekend, and I might sneak in the potato soup when I get back from my scrapbooking retreat. We'll see!

Fleischpflanzl

Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground pork (I used ground venison)
1 lb lean ground beef
4-5 slices stale bread
1 onion, diced fine
1 Tbsp parsley leaves, or 1 bunch fresh parsley, snipped fine
2 eggs
salt, to taste
ground black pepper, to taste
pinch flour
cheese slices, optional

Directions:
Saute' the onion and add parsley. Stir, then remove from heat. In a large bowl, mix onion and parsley with meatl, salt and pepper. Moisten the bread thoroughly with water; squeeze out, and stir into the meat mixture. When well blended, sprinkle with a little flour and mix again. Form meat mixture into small flat patties. Cook in skillet over medium heat until browned, cooked through & juices run clearn. You can also cook these up on a grill just like hamburgers.

Yummy! I liked the flavor that the venison added, much healthier than using pork, too. I guess this means that I should use some of the other German recipes, so I can feel like my ancestors and make recipes similar to what they would have made way back when.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! I have been looking for some delicious German recipes (I didn't get any response soliciting on my blog). Anyway if you have any other delicious ones, I would love if you could pass along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I know this mysterious roommate? Glad to get the good review on the recipe. I haven't tried that one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you know the mysterious roommate very well, Val! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Previous Posts