I think the last time that I made this was nearly 9 years ago, during hubs & my first year of marriage. Actually, now that I think about it, I used ground venison that I friend had given me, not kielbasa. So I guess this is a brand new meal for us! I neve really liked Red Beans & Rice when I was growing up. Mom made it every so often, but I never liked having anything over my rice. I always wanted my rice on the side. Funny how things change when we grow up.
Kielbasa Sausage & Red Beans & Rice
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, diced fine
1 lb smoked kielbasa, cut into slices
1 can kidney beans (I used dark red)
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cajun seasoning
1 bay leaf
1 can beef broth (I used 2 cups homemade pork broth)
1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
1 cup uncooked rice
Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add onion and celery; saute' for a few minutes. Add sausage, kidney beans, seasonings, broth and tomato sauce. Stir in rice. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is done. Now, my family prefers to have their rice on the side (like me when I was a kid...what goes around comes around, eh?). So I cooked the rice in a rice cooker. I still used the same amount of broth with the kielbasa, beans, veggies & seasonings. For myself, I served the Red Beans & Rice and sauce over the rice, and it tasted great!
Thursday, January 21, 2010
- Menu Plan Monday: 2/1-2/7/10
- Spectacular Sides: Pistachio Salad
- Cooking With Food Storage Made Eas
- Conversions & Substitutions: Emergency Substitutes...
- Out of the Office
- Game Day Recipes & Hot Coupons At Kraft!
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Wok's For Dinner: Fleischpflanzl
- Wok's For Dinner: Crock-pot Chicken & Vegetables
- When Life Gives You Lemons
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 3
- Wok's For Dinner: Honey BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Spectacular Sides: Sautee'd Apples
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/25-1/31/1
- Spectacular Sides: Peppered Cottage Cheese
- Wok's For Dinner: Cuban Pork & Black Bean Soup
- Friday Night = Date Night
- Freebies For Me
- Wok's For Dinner: Kielbasa Sausage & Red Beans & R...
- Wok's For Dinner: Cornish Hens in Sour Cream
- Wok's For Dinner: Frito Pie
- Creating More Storage to the Kitchen
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 2
- Wok's For Dinner: Hungarian Cabbage Stew
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Rice L'Orange
- Menu Plan Moday: 1/18-1/24/10
- Bargain Buy: Bulk Meat Purchase
- Remodel & Declutter--A Twofer!
- Wok's For Dinner: Mu Shu Pork
- Wok's For Dinner: Sloppy Joes
- Shop Your Way Rewards
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 1
- Spectacular Sides: Garlic Green Beans
- Wok's For Dinner: One Pot Chicken Dinner
- Free Book Download: Maximize Your Mornings
- January OAMM Menu
- Wok's For Dinner: Sweet 'n' Sour Pork Chops
- Menu Plan Monday--1/11-1/17/10
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Ham It Up White Bean Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: South of the Border Lasagna
- Food Storage...Where Do I Put It?
- Shelf Life: How Long Is This Stuff Supposed To Las...
- Return & Report: My 2010 Goals
- Kmart Smart Assist Program
- Wok's For Dinner: Shredded Beef Sandwiches
- Long-Term Food Storage: $5/Week Budget
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Scalloped Potatoes
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Hot Pork Sandwich With Gravy
- My Goals for the New Year
- Wok's For Dinner: Chili Cups
- Menu Plan Monday: 1/4-1/10/10
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Vegetable Stew With Pa...
- Bargain Buy: Potatoes!
- The Goody Bag
- Bargain Buy: Soup, Bread & More
- Black-Eyed Peas For Luck
- Wok's For Dinner: Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves
- ▼ January (59)